👉🏼 Optimized Security: Importing without Generating During the initialization of your HASHWallet, you'll find the option to import keys using a mnemonic seed phrase but not to create one. This is by design. HASHWallet's seedless model ensures that your keys are born and reside in an ultra-secure environment, never exposed to the risks of handling and storing a seed phrase. While we don't generate a seed phrase, we uniquely offer the ability to import your existing keys securely. This allows you to consolidate your digital assets from various environments into HASHWallet's robust security framework—granting you peace of mind and an unmatched level of protection.
Step 1: Scan your card to activate your HASHWallet
When launching the HASHWallet Manager, the process may differ depending on whether you're a new user or have previously initialized other cards.
For New Users: Upon creating your account and reaching the initialization screen, you'll see two main options:
- "Generate Seedless New Keys" for a fresh start with a new set of keys.
- "Import Keys from Seed Phrase" if you wish to import an existing set of keys.
For Existing Users: If you add a new card or manage existing ones, navigate to the "Scan & Set Keys" in the Settings area. Upon scanning your HASHWallet card, the app will confirm whether it's a new generation card (applet version 2) or an earlier version. Here, you can:
- "Generate Seedless New Keys" for your new card.
- "Import key from Seed Phrase".
- "Restore" previously backed-up wallets from your Backup Center (e.g., Cobalt, Comun).
If your card is of the first generation of the applet, you will need to buy a new backup card to import and generate keys from a mnemonic seed phrase.
👉🏼 The first generation of the HASHWallet Link applet focused exclusively on seedless key generation. The second generation enhances being a Multiseed device.
Step 2: Select Your Initialization Method
At this stage, you are presented with two distinct paths for setting up your HASHWallet:
- "Generate Seedless New Keys": This option initiates creating a new, unique set of keys within the secure environment of your HASHWallet. It's recommended for users who prefer a fresh start without importing from another hard or soft wallet.
- "Import Keys from Seed Phrase": Opt for this if you import an existing mnemonic phrase from another wallet service. This allows you to manage your digital assets with HASHWallet while maintaining the continuity of your current portfolio.
Choose "Import Keys from Seed Phrase" to generate your keys using your mnemonic words.
For a deeper understanding of these concepts and to make an informed decision, we recommend reading our detailed article:
Step 3: Confirm Understanding of Your BIP39 Mnemonic Configuration
Before you proceed, it’s crucial to ensure that your mnemonic configuration aligns with the BIP39 standard, widely recognized and accepted by numerous wallets.
1. Mnemonic Phrase Standard: Confirm that your mnemonic phrase adheres to the BIP39 standard. This is the framework many wallets use to generate and recover your funds securely.
2. Word Display Process: Understand that the display of words will follow a sequential process, allowing you to verify each one for accurate recovery.
3. Account Organization: Recognize that your accounts and their respective keys are organized according to this same BIP39 standard, ensuring compatibility and ease of recovery across different platforms.
Please scroll through and read each point carefully. The "I Understand" button will activate once you've scrolled through all the information, indicating you've reviewed and understood the BIP39 mnemonic process. This step is essential to secure management and recovery of your digital assets.
Step 4: Input and Confirm Your Mnemonic Words
Begin entering each of your mnemonic words. After typing the first three letters of a word, you will see suggestions appear. This auto-suggest feature helps ensure that you select from the BIP39 word list corresponding to the language you have previously chosen. This step is crucial for accurate word entry and subsequent wallet recovery.
When you reach the last word, remember it is determined by a checksum, a critical error-detection feature used in the BIP39 standard to verify the integrity of your entire mnemonic phrase. If the last word you expect doesn't appear in the suggestions, it's a signal that there may be a mistake in the previous words entered. If this happens, you'll need to revisit and re-enter each word to ensure they all correspond correctly to the checksum calculation.
This process not only secures your recovery phrase but also confirms that it has been inputted correctly, safeguarding access to your digital assets.
Step 5: Passphrase Input and Verification
In this step, you will address the passphrase associated with your mnemonic phrase:
If Your Imported Mnemonic Does Not Include a Passphrase:
- Select "I don't have a passphrase." It is critical not to create a new one if you originally didn’t set a passphrase. Doing so would generate a completely different set of keys, and you will not be able to access the funds associated with the original mnemonic phrase.
If Your Imported Mnemonic Includes a Passphrase:
- Select "I have a passphrase" and proceed to enter it. Remember, your passphrase is case-sensitive, which means it must be entered exactly as it was originally created, with attention to upper and lower case letters. A passphrase functions as an additional layer of security, so accuracy is crucial. If you encounter an error stating that the passphrase does not match, it indicates the need to re-enter it carefully to ensure it matches the exact format you initially set.
Step 6: Finalizing Your HASHWallet Setup: NFC Interaction
Once you have completed the setup in the HASHWallet Manager and given a name to the portfolio you are importing, the final step is to establish communication with your HASHWallet card using your phone's NFC capabilities. To ensure a smooth and uninterrupted NFC reading process, please follow these guidelines:
- Steady Positioning: When the app prompts you to scan your card, place the HASHWallet card against the NFC area of your phone. Once the scan begins, do not move or adjust the card until the process is completed.
- Multiple Scans: The HASHWallet Manager may require several scans to successfully complete the key creation process. Each prompt will guide you when to bring your card close to your phone.
- Patience is Key: NFC technology requires patience. Hold your card steady and give it some time. If the first attempt is unsuccessful, try again. It's not uncommon for NFC scans to require a second or third attempt for a clean read.
By carefully following these instructions, you'll ensure the secure and accurate creation of your keys on the HASHWallet card. Remember, this step is crucial to protect your digital assets and enable your transactions.
Handling NFC Reading Errors During Activation
Creating Your Wallets and Syncing with the Blockchain
With your HASHWallet card’s keys securely established, you're ready to set up your individual wallets in the HASHWallet Manager. This will be your operational hub for asset management.
- Create Each Wallet: Use the HASHWallet Manager to create a new wallet for each cryptocurrency you want to manage. This is the first step in organizing your digital assets.
- Blockchain Synchronization: Each newly created wallet will synchronize with the blockchain to reflect accurate funds and transaction history.
- Patience During Sync: Blockchain synchronization might take time, depending on network conditions. Allow the HASHWallet Manager to complete this process uninterrupted.
- Final Verification: Post-sync, ensure all wallet balances and transactions mirror the true state of your blockchain assets in the HASHWallet Manager.
- Start Managing Your Assets: You can now actively manage your digital assets. Use your HASHWallet to execute transactions and keep track of your cryptocurrencies securely.
- Portfolio Structure Sync: If you're using the Backup Center, you can synchronize your portfolio structure. This keeps your wallet organization consistent across devices or sessions, streamlining wallet management and recovery.
Remember, each wallet is a portal to your blockchain assets. Secure storage of your HASHWallet card and responsible use of the HASHWallet Manager are vital for protecting your investments. Through the Backup Center, easily maintain and recover your portfolio structure, ensuring no asset is ever out of place.